Sewn: Burda 04/2017-117 Cutout Bias Dress

It has been a long time since I have sewn a garment for myself (the last thing was a dressing gown nearly two years ago). I got a bit annoyed that I kept changing size/shape so I stopped. However, I have recently discovered Handmade by Carolyn's blog and this really inspired me to have another go. She uses a variety of patterns and makes everything - even down to tights and shoes

I fell in love with this bias cut dress in the April 2017 Burda Magazine and with in no time I was raiding my stash to find something to make it in. The fabric was given to me by a lovely colleague and I think it is a polycotton. 




Size
The Burda pattern is in a Tall Size range, but even though I am short, I do have quite a long torso, so I cut the size 80 (which is a UK 14). I am a shop size 12 but my measurements suited the 14 better. The dress has a roomier fit in the bust but the waist is fine.



Alterations
I couldn't find an invisible zip at the correct length and so used an ordinary one. I also lengthened the skirt, which seems crazy for a tall size, but I prefer it that way! 

Try a Caesar in Canada (a bit like a Bloody Mary)!


I always find the Burda instructions a little confusing (much prefer a little helpful diagram) and couldn't even see a mention of joining the shoulders together [edit: just spotted it now - I could have sworn it wasn't there!]. It was also a bit hazy about attaching the lining at the back, however I just finished it off by hand.



Conclusion
Love the dress so much and have worn it several times and had some compliments to boot. I even took it on my recent holiday to Canada ... last seen cycling the Toronto harbourside (above)!

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

Popular Posts