Sewn: Dressing Gown (Dress A Clothing for Everyday Wear)


It has been a fair while since I actually sewed myself a garment, partly because I was a little disappointed with the last couple of things I have made and also for much of the last year my weight had been unstable due to medication. But, I wanted to get back into the swing of sewing without the constraints of having to have a perfect fit, and a dressing gown seemed like the perfect solution. 

Pattern 
I really liked the Buchanan Dressing Gown by Gather (which is also available as a kit) and this gown by Purl Soho, but then I remembered Dress A from Stylish Dress Book: Clothing for Everyday Wear by Yoshiko Tsukiori which always looked more like a dressing gown than a dress to me!

Pattern Description
Wraparound dress with pockets

Size
Medium 


Instructions
The instructions and diagrams were so clear easy to follow.

Fabric used
I found a gorgeous blush/cream medium weight cotton which I think is a perfect weight/warmth for the Spring to Autumn seasons. It probably isn't thick enough for Winter.


Alterations
The back of the dressing gown should have been cut in two pieces and sewn together, but this seemed a little daft to me, so I put my pattern piece on the fold and made it just the one piece. 
I used my current dressing gown as a model for placing some internal ribbon ties in addition to the drawstring. The drawstring I have left as an external belt so that I can tie it together at the front of the gown.

I also reinforced the shoulder seams with some leftover self-made binding.


Sew it again?
Definitely - I am already envisaging it in brushed cotton! I am loving Ms Wabi-Sabi's version here.

Love Mrs Jones x




Comments

  1. Lovely. I have this book, I agree it is perfect as a dressing gown!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts