Bake: Black Forest Gateau

Who doesn't love the return of the Great British Bake Off? It has been such a long time since I baked (unless you count the breadmaker bread I make four times a week), so I was inspired to have a go at a Black forest gateau. One of the few phrases that I remember from learning German is "Schwartzwalderkirschtorte mit sahne, bitte" - an everyday essential!!


The recipe I followed was this one from The Hairy Bikers, although if you read the recipe through, the linked photo doesn't resemble the description at all!

As usual, I meddled with the recipe! Firstly, I left it as a two layer cake - my sponges were pretty thin and I didn't think they would stand up to being split into two. I didn't have any Kirsch or cherry brandy so used Creme de Cassis instead - just one dessertspoon drizzled over one of the sponges before spreading it with sour cherry jam, and I did not included the dried cherries either.

I learned a valuable lesson about rescuing overwhipped cream too, as my son was in charge of the whipping (see how granular it looks in the centre). Just add a little more cream and whisk by hand until it is incorporated - it will loosen up to the desired consistency.

If you are inspired to bake, here is the link to the recipes from Week One.

Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. The cake looks wonderful. Think I'll seek out the recipe, and probably adjust it to us
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I'm always adjusting recipes to suit what I have in my cupboard, although I did get some sour cherry jam from Lidl for this recipe.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts