I made a Lemon Drizzle Cake at the weekend, at the request of my children, but what I really wanted to make was this Ginger Jam Loaf Cake. The recipe has been adapted from the Sticky Ginger Marmalade Loaf in Baking: 100 Everyday Recipes published by Love Food.
A note on the Ginger Jam
The jam that I have used is Mrs Bridges Ginger Preserve with lots of nice bits of ginger in. Waitrose also sell their own brand Stem Ginger Preserve.
125g ginger jam
175g demerara sugar
225g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground mixed spice (or ground ginger if you want more of a ginger kick!)
1. Set aside a dessert spoon of ginger jam in a saucepan.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the butter, jam and sugar. Whisk with an electric mixer.
3. Add the eggs and whisk again.
4. Sieve the mix of flour, baking powder and spice and mix with a spoon.
5. Pour this into a lined 2lb loaf tin (I always use the ready made liners). Level off and pop in a pre heated oven at 180C for 50 mins to 1 hour.
6. While your cake begins to cool, heat the ginger jam gently in the saucepan, and once it has melted, brush over the top of your cake.