Somerset Sausage and Cider Casserole

This is a perfect autumn recipe, and one that my family loves. Unfortunately, I can't remember the source of this recipe, I suspect it may be a Good Housekeeping recipe, but if you do know, let me know and I will add the appropriate credit.

A note about the sausages: I use the long skinny chipolatas that you can buy in a twelve pack because for my family that gives them three each, but you can use whatever sausage that you please, but allow at least two per person.

Ingredients
Sausages (as above)
Small onion
3 medium to large carrots
Plain flour
Cider
Stock
Eating apple
Tbsp each of fresh sage and thyme (if using dried make this a teaspoon)

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.

2. Brown the sausages in a large pan. I usually leave them to brown under a lid whilst I chop the veg.

3. Peel and cut carrots into fat wedge shapes (see image) and peel and slice the onion.

4. Put the browned sausages into your ovenproof casserole dish. Meanwhile, fry the onion and carrot in the same pan that you have taken the sausages out. Once they have started to soften, reduce the heat and add a tablespoon of flour. Stir.

5. Add to this a large glug of cider and 200ml of stock. Bring to the boil then add the herbs. Then pour into the casserole dish. 

6. Chop an eating apple and add to the casserole and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.

7. Serve with bread and a cool glass of cider.

Optional: you could also add a topping of mashed potatoes or add new potatoes to the casserole.



Love Mrs Jones x

Comments

  1. Sounds delicious! We had sausage casserole last night actually but not tried it with cider. I'll definitely try this next time:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views on my blog, so please do stop by and comment!

Popular Posts