Inspired by the strawberry cupcakes in this month's Craftseller magazine, we made our own version. I used my own tried and trusted plain cupcake recipe (see below) and added some delicious, if a little runny, buttercream and topped it off with strawberries and raspberries. Fred doesn't like strawberries (!) hence the raspberries.
Yet again, it rained so I let one child help make the cake and the other decorated. And we all helped eat them (do you remember the story of the Little Red Hen?)
Cake ingredients- this makes 12 cupcakes
100g caster sugar
100g self raising flour
150g icing sugar
1. Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy
2. Add one egg at a time and whisk thoroughly
3. Sift the flour and fold.
4. Spoon into bun cases in a bun tray and bake for 15-20 minutes at 180C.
5. Cool on wire rack
6. Chop large strawberries in half and wash all the fruit you are going to use.
7. Cream the butter for the icing and gradually sift in the icing sugar. Add a little milk if too stiff.
8. Spoon or pipe the icing onto the top of the cakes and add your summer fruit, singly or as a mix.
9. Dust with icing sugar.
Love Mrs Jones x