9/11

On September 11th 2001, I was at home with my son, Albert enjoying his birthday (he was four that day) and heavily pregnant with my second child. We spent most of the day playing with his birthday toys and lego oblivious to what was happening in the world. It wasn't until my father visited late that afternoon, that I knew what had happened, that the twin towers had been crashed into with two hijacked planes, another had crashed into the Pentagon. I can remember thinking that it wasn't really happening and also that whatever it was, that I didn't want to upset my son on his birthday.

This terrible atrocity and the action that the US and UK governments took in haste in its aftermath have changed our world irrevocably. Approximately 3,000 people lost their lives on 9/11. More than 5,500 US soldiers have lost their lives in the ensuing wars.

On this tenth anniversary, my heart goes out to all the families who lost someone in the attack, and to all who survived it.

Comments

Popular Posts